Intel - Terrorism
Lord's Resistance Army

"In God we trust.
All others we monitor."

Economics | Radio| Regions| Television | Weapons



  • Joseph Kony


  • Financial Committee
  • Religious-Legal Committee
  • Military Committee
  • Media Communications Committee

wpe3F.jpg (7314 bytes)


LRA Founded by Joseph Kony, January 1987
  • Throughout 1987, Kony gained military strength by absorbing small units of the rebel Uganda People's Democratic Army, and through violent competition with other Acholi rebel groups for resources and fighters.
  • In late 1987, he agreed to join the UPDA in attacking Gulu Town; however, he then betrayed them by attacking the UPDA headquarters in retaliation for UPDA attempts to steal food being delivered by Kony’s supporters.


Peace Talks Between LRA and Ugandan People's Democratic Army Fail, Result in Bloodshed June 1988


Former UPDA Founder Odong Latek Joins LRA, 1988


Latek Convinces Joseph Kony to Adopt Guerilla Tactics
  • Latek gained a lot of influence in the organization, and convinced Kony to adopt conventional guerrilla tactics.
  • Prior to this, LRA forces normally attacked in a cross-shaped formation with designated persons sprinkling holy water, much like the Holy Spirit Movement.
  • Tactics since consist primarily of surprise attacks on civilian targets, such as villages.
  • These attacks are carried out by highly mobile groups of 15 that split into groups of three to six to disperse after the attack.
  • The LRA will also occasionally carry out large-scale attacks to underline the inability of the government to protect the populace.


Ugandan Government Pursues LRA in "Operation North", March 1991
  • March 1991 saw the start of a massive government attempt to destroy the LRA, later known as "Operation North."
  • The whole of Northern Uganda was locked down and all humanitarian organizations were forced to leave in preparation for counterinsurgency operations.
  • Operation North combined efforts to destroy the combatants while cutting away its roots of support among the population through heavy-handed tactics, including arbitrary arrests, torture and extralegal executions.
  • While Operation North was prompted partially by the activities of the LRA, the World Bank had approved a loan on 5 May 1992 for reconstruction of Northern infrastructure, which could not be implemented in an insecure environment.

wpe40.jpg (2135 bytes)


LRA Starts Citing Bible To Mutilate Victims, Cutting Off Their Limbs
  • If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than, having your two hands, to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire, where THEIR WORM DOES NOT DIE, AND THE FIRE IS NOT QUENCHED. If your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life lame, than, having your two feet, to be cast into hell, where THEIR WORM DOES NOT DIE, AND THE FIRE IS NOT QUENCHED. If your eye causes you to stumble, throw it out; it is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, than, having two eyes, to be cast into hell. (Mark 9:43-47)

wpe41.jpg (8338 bytes)


LRA Begins Hacking Off Victims Limbs, In Accordance with New Testament
  • In response the LRA mutilated numerous Acholi who they believed to be government supporters, cutting off their hands, noses and ears, padlocking their mouths shut through holes cut in their lips, or simply hacking them to death with machetes.
  • Kony would later explain the reasons for these actions: "If you pick up an arrow against us and we ended up cutting off the hand you used, who is to blame? You report us with your mouth, and we cut off your lips? Who is to blame? It is you! The Bible says that if your hand, eye or mouth is at fault, it should be cut off."

wpe42.jpg (10208 bytes)


Ugandan Goverment Meets with LRA, to Attempt Negotiations, November 1993
  • In November 1993, the first face-to-face meeting between representatives of the LRA and government took place under an agreed cease-fire at Pagik in Gulu District.
  • Ugandan Government Minister Betty Bigombe represented the government and brought several Acholi elders as well as the commander of the Fourth Division, Col. Samuel Wasswa, who was responsible for military operations in the North, while the LRA sent members of Kony's inner circle.
  • The LRA asked for a general amnesty for their combatants and stated that they would not surrender, but were willing to "return home."
  • Bigombe reassured the LRA that they would not be treated as a vanquished foe, and Wasswa agreed to a cease-fire to allow the negotiations to continue.


Joseph Kony Meets with Ugandan Government Minister Bogombe, 4 Hour Speech January 10, 1994
  • At a second meeting on 10 January 1994, Kony himself gave a four-hour speech in which he blamed the Acholis as "responsible for the war that had backfired with terrible results that everyone now blamed Kony for."
  • In one-on-one talks with Betty Bigombe, Kony asked for six months to regroup his troops.


Government Talks Collapse, Museveni Gives 7 Day Ultimatum, February, 1994
  • This demand for six months was widely perceived as excessive.
  • It was later revealed that the military had learned that Kony was negotiating with the Sudanese government for support while talking to Bigombe, and felt that Kony was simply trying to buy time.
  • Regardless, the sight of LRA combatants traveling openly and peacefully had created an expectation among the Acholi that a final peace was at hand.
  • However, by early February the tone of the negotiations was growing increasingly acrimonious.
  • The LRA negotiating team felt that the NRA officers were acting arrogantly as victors accepting terms from a defeated foe, contrary to the understanding reached at the first meeting, and traded harsh words over the negotiating table.
  • Bigombe apparently also felt caught between her dual role as government representative and chief mediator, and believed that she was not receiving adequate support from the government as a whole.
  • Following a meeting on 2 February, the LRA broke off negotiations stating that they felt that the NRA was trying to entrap them.
  • Four days later, President Yoweri Museveni spoke to a crowd in Gulu and announced a seven-day deadline for the LRA to surrender; otherwise the government would pursue a military solution.
  • Whatever the reason, and regardless of whether or not the LRA was negotiating in good faith, this ultimatum ended the Bigombe initiative.


LRA Establishes Bases in Southern Sudan, with Approval of Sudanese Government, February, 1994
  • Two weeks after Museveni delivered his ultimatum of 6 February 1994, LRA fighters were reported to have crossed the northern border and established bases in southern Sudan with the approval of the Khartoum government.
  • The end of the Bigombe peace initiatives marks a fundamental shift in the character of the Lord's Resistance Army, which is estimated to have consisted of 3,000 to 4,000 combatants at this time.
  • This is the turning point at which the LRA becomes essentially the organization that operates today.


Sudanese Government Supplying Weaponry to LRA, in Part to Pursue SPLA
  • Prior to this support, the LRA could be treated as a minor irritant in the outskirts of the country; now it also had to be considered a proxy force of the Khartoum government.
  • Sudanese support allowed the LRA to increase the intensity of its operations beyond the level at which it was previously capable.
  • Not only was a safe haven granted from which the LRA could launch attacks into Uganda, but Sudan also gave a large amount of arms, ammunition, land mines and other supplies.
  • In return, the LRA was expected to deny territory to the SPLA and periodically participate in joint operations with the Sudanese army.
  • The increased intensity of attacks through proxy forces led Uganda and Sudan to the brink of open hostilities in 1995.


LRA's "Signature" Mutilations Becomes Commonplace, Child Abductions, 1994
  • Mutilations such as those carried out in the wake of the Arrow Group strategy became commonplace, and 1994 saw the first mass forced abduction of children and young people.


LRA Massacres Up To 220 in Atiak Trading Center Siege April 22, 1995
  • On April 22, 1995, Atiak Trading Center in northern Gulu District was attacked and the Local Defense Forces routed.
  • Over the course of the day between 170 and 220 civilians were killed in the absence of resistance from government forces.


Ugandan Government Attempts to Attack LRA, Kills 13 Civilians in Process August 13, 1995
  • On August 31, 1995, thirteen civilians, some with their hands tied behind their backs, were killed in a government gunship attack on an LRA column near Lokung, northwest Kitgum.
  • Sixteen LRA combatants were also killed.
  • Critics charged reckless disregard for abductee lives; the government claimed the killings were accidental and unintentional.


Civilian and Military Convoy Ambushed, Up To 110 Killed March 8, 1996
  • On March 8, 1996, a civilian convoy of over 20 vehicles with a military escort of 14 soldiers travelling west on the Karuma-Pakwach road was ambushed.
  • Between 50 and 110 civilians were killed, most after the escort had been overcome.
  • Some were executed; others were killed after they refused to exit their buses and explosives were thrown inside.


Mysterious Deaths of Two Acholi Elders June 8, 1996
  • The deaths of two Acholi elders on 8 June 1996 remains a mystery.
  • Mr. Okot Ogony of Cwero, eastern Gulu, Chairman of the Peace Commission of the Council of Acholi Chiefs, and Mr. Olanya Lacony, a respected elder from Kac-Goma, southwestern Gulu, were found murdered near Cwero in still unexplained circumstances.
  • They were the leaders of a local initiative to restart the peace talks that had collapsed in February 1994 and had the approval of the President of Uganda and an invitation from the LRA.
  • Some blame the LRA, while others point to corrupt National Resistance Army officers.


UNHCR Camp Attacked in Southern Sudan Kitgum (Pader District), 100 Slaughtered July 13-14, 1996
  • The LRA carried out three separate attacks on July 13 to July 14, 1996 upon a settlement of Sudanese refugees in southern Kitgum (now Pader District) administered by the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees. Approximately 100 refugees were killed.


Ugandan Government Release 4 LRA Suspects to Civilian Mob, Beaten To Death August 16, 1996
  • The military contributed to mob killings in Gulu Town on August 16, 1996.
  • Four LRA suspects were turned over to an Acholi mob that beat them to death.
  • The suspects were under government custody and are reported to have been turned over to the mob in the presence of senior Uganda Fourth Division officers.


St Mary's Girls School Attacked, October 10, 1996
  • The most famous attack of this period were the St. Mary's College/Aboke abductions on October 10, 1996.
  • At about 2 a.m. about 200 armed rebels broke into St. Mary's College in Aboke, northern Apac District, and abducted 139 secondary school girls between 13 and 16 years of age before leaving at about 5 a.m.
  • At 7 a.m., the deputy head mistress of the college, Sister Rachele Fassera, pursued the rebels and negotiated the release of 109 of the girls.
  • Five of the thirty remaining girls died in captivity; all but two eventually made their escape, as of 2006.

wpe49.jpg (8927 bytes)


Lokung/Palabek Massacre, Up to 412 Slaughtered January 7-12, 1997
  • In the Lokung/Palabek massacre from January 7 to January 12, 1997, up to 412 civilians were killed in and around the subcounties of Lokung and Palabek in northwest Kitgum. There were no opposing forces and most victims were bludgeoned or hacked to death.

wpe48.jpg (2191 bytes)


Carter Center Negotiates Peace Deal Between Uganda and Sudan 1999
  • In 1999 the Carter Center mediated the Nairobi Agreement between Uganda and Sudan, which restored diplomatic relations in 2001.


Uganda Passes "Amnesty Act" Towards LRA 2000
  • In 2000, the Parliament of Uganda passed the Amnesty Act.
  • This act pardons rebels who give themselves up to the Amnesty Commission and renounce violence.
  • While it did not end the insurgency, it proved effective enough in some of the other regions of the country that had experienced rebellion to be maintained.


LRA Officials Approach Ugandan Government, Seeking Dialogue, Probably Without Krony, June 2001
  • The sudden appearance of LRA units in June 2001 who contacted local government officials to discuss the possibility of dialogue created a flurry of speculation that the LRA was tiring of their insurgency.
  • The Uganda People's Defense Force – the renamed NRA – created a demilitarized zone for the talks, a measure that had the implicit approval of President Museveni.
  • The talks were exploratory in nature and the LRA units eventually returned to Sudan.
  • However, analysts believed that they were initiated at the behest of Kony and indicated the most promising diplomatic environment since the collapse of the Bigombe talks in 1994.

wpe47.jpg (2070 bytes)


Terrorist Attacks of 9/11: September 11, 2001
  • Following the al-Qaeda attacks in 2001 upon the World Trade Center and The Pentagon in the U.S., the relationship between Sudan and Uganda abruptly changed.
  • The NIF government was anxious to avoid any blame that may be attached to them for their offering of sanctuary to al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden for several years in the 1990s.

wpe46.jpg (5429 bytes)


US Government Names LRA to State Dept List of Terrorist Organizations, December 5, 2001


Sudan Agrees to Stop Funding and Supporting LRA, December 5, 2001
  • Also, following the LRA's designation as a terrorist organization by the U.S. State Department on 5 December 2001, Sudan agreed to stop supplying aid to the LRA.


Ugandan Military (UPDF) Closes in on LRA in Southern Sudan Operation "Iron Fist" March 2002
  • In March 2002, the UPDF launched a massive military offensive, named "Operation Iron Fist", against the LRA bases in southern Sudan.


Sudan Permits Ugandan Military to Pursue LRA in Southern Sudan for Operation "Iron Fist" March 2002
  • The National Islamic Front government agreed to the entry of the Ugandan military into its borders, albeit below the so-called "red line" consisting of the Juba-Torit highway.
  • This was part of its efforts to broadcast its new status as an engaged member of the international community.
  • This agreement, coupled with the return of Ugandan forces that had been deployed in the Democratic Republic of Congo upon the official end of the Second Congo War, created what the Ugandan government felt was an ideal situation in which to end a conflict that had become both an embarrassment and political liability.


Ugandan Operation "Iron Fist" Miserable Disaster
  • This attempt at a heroic finish to the conflict failed in a spectacular manner.
  • After several months of uncertainty, LRA forces began crossing back into Uganda and carrying out attacks on a scale and of a brutality not seen since 1995 to 1996.
  • The LRA then began to move into areas outside of Acholiland, apparently in search of support.However, when the local populace began to resist, the LRA extended its combat operations.
  • This resulted in widespread displacement and suffering in regions that had never previously been touched by the insurgency.
  • Part of the failure of Operation Iron Fist is due to the large stockpile of supplies that the LRA had accumulated during the period that it was supported by the Sudanese government.
  • However, the government also failed to destroy all of the LRA positions in Sudan.

wpe4A.jpg (4063 bytes)


Museveni Asks ICC To Consider if Kony Actions Constitute War Crimes, December 2003
  • In December 2003, Ugandan President Museveni referred the LRA to the International Criminal Court (ICC) to determine if the LRA is guilty of international war crimes.
  • ICC Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo formally opened an investigation in January 2004.
  • Some local Ugandan groups have criticized this move, as an ICC conviction of Joseph Kony and his senior lieutenants is seen to make a negotiated end to the conflict nearly impossible.


LRA Attacks Barlonyo Refugee Camp, Kills 200, February 21, 2004

wpe4B.jpg (2505 bytes)


Sudanese Civil War Ends, John Garang Pledges No LRA Support in Sudan January, 2005
  • The signing of a peace deal ending the Second Sudanese Civil War between the government and the Sudan People's Liberation Army prompted speculation that a more stable Sudan would help end the LRA insurgency.
  • In late January, SPLA leader John Garang pledged that he would not allow the LRA to operate in the south once he gained formal control of the region.
  • While Garang died in a helicopter crash several months later, this did not appear to shake the close cooperation between the SPLA and Uganda.

wpe4C.jpg (2646 bytes)


John Garang Dies in Helicopter Crash, July 2005


Museveni Announces 18-Day Cease Fire, February 3, 2005
  • On 3 February 2005, President Museveni announced an 18 day cease-fire, backing away from previous commitments to sustain military operations until the LRA committed to withdraw from the bush. Minister of Internal Affairs Ruhakana Rugunda commented that "the declaration of the 18-day cease-fire is a clear indication that the President or the government is committed to ending this 18-year-old war peacefully."

wpe45.jpg (2966 bytes)


International Crisis Group: He Likens Himself To Moses, and Moses Doesn't Believe He'll Make It To the Promised Land
  • A senior analyst of the International Crisis Group stated, "He likens himself to Moses, and like Moses he doesn't believe he'll make it to the Promised Land, which provides a very dangerous ambiguity to whether he will ever let himself personally be part of the peace process."


US State Dept Estimates LRA Violence Has Killed 12,000, Not Counting Malnutrition or Disease February 3, 2005
  • A U.S. State Department draft report released on 3 February stated that up to 12,000 people had been killed by rebel violence and 20,000 children had been abducted over the course of the war.
  • This was the first attempt to quantify the casualties from the LRA conflict, but did not include deaths from conflict-related malnutrition and disease.
  • The spokesperson for the Ugandan military expressed doubt about the accuracy of the estimate: "They are simply giving a probing figure. They do not have accurate information. They want to cause us to come out and dispute them which we may not do."
  • The government also admitted for the first time that it was recruiting former abductees and returning them to the battlefield.
  • The army stated that around 800 former abductees have been recruited, hundreds of whom are believed to be below 18 years of age.


Ugandan Chief Negotiator Betty Begombe: "Cease Fire Holding, Peace Process On Course" February 7, 2005
  • Chief mediator Betty Bigombe stated on 7 February, "The cease-fire is absolutely holding and the peace process is now on course."

wpe4D.jpg (4576 bytes)


LRA Deputy Commander and Negotiator Sam Kolo Surrenders to Ugandan Officials, Stalling Peace Process, Mid-February
  • However, the peace process was weakened after Sam Kolo, the LRA's chief negotiator, surrendered to the government in mid-February.

wpe44.jpg (2775 bytes)


World Food Program Estimates 1.4 Million Displaced By Conflict Facing Severe Food Shortages, May 2005
  • In May 2005, the World Food Programme reported that 1.4 million people displaced by the conflict were facing severe food shortages.
  • The ongoing insecurity prevented the IDPs from tilling and planting farm land, as well as making it difficult for relief organizations to reach persons in need.
  • WFP warned that the predicted malnutrition would cause death rates to rise.

wpe3E.jpg (10046 bytes)


International Criminal Court Issues Arrest Warrants, July 2005
  • The International Criminal Court issued arrest warrants on 8 July and 27 September 2005 against Joseph Kony, his deputy Vincent Otti, and LRA commanders Raska Lukwiya, Okot Odhiambo and Dominic Ongwen.
  • The five LRA leaders are charged with crimes against humanity and war crimes, including murder, rape, sexual slavery, and enlisting of children as combatants.


LRA Deputy Commander Vincent Otti Leads Assault on 40 Homes in Juba, Southern Sudanese Capital, September 14, 2005
  • Forty LRA rebels led by Vincent Otti crossed the White Nile on 14 September 2005 for the first time and burn houses near Juba, the capital of Southern Sudan, along the road to Yei.
  • Since the rioting that followed the death of John Garang, Juba was almost entirely reliant on food shipped by road by Yei.
  • The band continued travelling west and crossed into the Orientale province of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) at Garamba National Park.
  • At least two other bands, one of which was supposedly led by Kony, were reported to be moving westward from the historic stronghold of the LRA in northcentral Uganda and southeastern Sudan.
  • This was the first LRA movement into the DRC. The UPDF stated that they had achieved control of northern Uganda and that their military efforts were being frustrated by the refusal of the transitional Sudanese government to grant permission to cross the Juba-Torit "Red Line".
  • Lt-General Aronda Nyakairima stated that "Kony's death was in sight had we got permission to follow him past the red line.
  • He is now fleeing for his life just like Lakwena did."
  • These claims came at the same time that Human Rights Watch called for the ICC to investigate the UPDF for war crimes in northern Uganda.

wpe43.jpg (3579 bytes)


LRA Deputy Commander Vincent Otti's Delegation Meets with United Nations, September 25, 2005
  • Representatives of the United Nations and the Congolese national army met with a band of LRA thought to be under the command of Vincent Otti in northeastern DRC on 25 September 2005.
  • There was some surprise that this, the first meeting between the UN and LRA, was easy to arrange. General Paderi of the DRC army told the LRA that they needed to disarm as a prerequisite to future talks.
  • Four days later, President Museveni declared that, if Congolese authorities did not disarm the LRA combatants, the UPDF would be sent across the border in pursuit.
  • This sparked a diplomatic row between the governments of the DRC and Uganda, with both militaries making a show of force along their border, while the Congolese ambassador to the United Nations sent a letter to the UN Secretary-General demanding that an economic embargo be placed on Uganda in retaliation.


LRA Deputy Commander Vincent Otti Calls for Peace Talks with Ugandan Government, November 30, 2005

wpe3D.jpg (3538 bytes)


LRA Commander Kony Meets with Southern Sudanese Vice President Riek Machar
  • Human Rights Watch reported that the regional Government of Southern Sudan had ignored previous ICC warrants for the arrest of four of LRA's top leaders, and instead supplied the LRA with cash and food as an incentive to stop them from attacking southern Sudanese citizens.


Series of Refugee Camps Torched By LRA, 40,000 Homless, January 2006

wpe52.jpg (3538 bytes)


Interpol Issues Wanted Persons Notice to 184 Countries About LRA June 6, 2006


South Sudan's Riek Machar Hosts Talks in Juba, Sudan Between LRA and Ugandan Government July 14, 2006
  • On July 14, 2006 talks began in Juba between delegations from the LRA and Uganda, with the Vice-president of Southern Sudan Riek Machar as the chief mediator.
  • The leader of the Ugandan delegation, Internal Affairs Minister Ruhakana Rugunda stated that his priority was to obtain a quick ceasefire.
  • The LRA delegation, led by Martin Ojul, said that LRA's acceptance of the peace talks should not be interpreted that LRA can no longer fight, but stressed that a negotiated settlement is the best way to end the conflict.


Kony Demands Goversment Ceasefire Before Negotiations Resume August 2, 2006
  • On 2 August, Kony held his first ever press conference in which he demanded a ceasefire before LRA-government negotiations resumed on the 7th.


LRA Deputy Commander Vincent Otti Declares Unilateral Ceasefire August 4, 2006
  • On 4 August 2006, Vincent Otti declared a unilateral ceasefire and asked the Ugandan government to reciprocate.
  • Ugandan Internal Affairs Minister Ruhakana Rugunda stated that they were waiting to see the effect on the ground.


LRA Signs Peace Agreement with Ugandan Government, August 26, 2006
  • The government and LRA signed a truce on 26 August 2006. Under the terms of the agreement, LRA forces were required to leave Uganda and gather in two assembly areas, where the Ugandan government promised they would not attack and the government of Southern Sudan guaranteed their safety.
  • Once this is accomplished, talks on a comprehensive peace agreement would begin.
  • Although a final agreement was not reached by the 12 August deadline, LRA rebels began gathering in the assembly areas and the government delegation stated that they would not hold to the deadline.
  • Machar stated that several hundred rebels, including Otti, had gathered either at Ri-Kwangba in West Equatoria or Owiny Ki-Bul in East Equatoria.


LRA Threatens To Quit Negotiations, September 23, 2006
  • On 23 September, the LRA delegation threatened to walk out of the negotiations, claiming that the UPDF had attacked their forces at Owiny Ki-Bul and demanding that composition of the government delegation be changed and that the ICC warrants be voided before any agreement. Uganda denied the accusation of attacks.

wpe51.jpg (5718 bytes)


LRA and Ugandan Government Meet with Riek Machar, Not with Each Other, September 25, 2006
  • Both delegations met with mediator Riek Machar on 25 September 2006, but not with each other.


LRA Insists Uganda Adopt a "Federalist" Structure to Government October 11, 2006
  • On 11 October 2006, the LRA proposed that Uganda adopt a federalist structure, prompting criticism from the government spokesperson.


Dozens of Civilians Shot to Death in Juba, Sudan, October 18, 2006
  • A pall had been thrown over the talks by the murder of several dozen civilians, including the shooting of women and children in the head, near Juba during the two previous days.
  • The attacks were carried out by an as-yet unnamed group, but some suspected that the LRA was responsible for the mayhem.


Museveni Travels to Juba, To Meet with LRA, October 20, 2006
  • On 20 October 2006, Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni traveled to Juba to meet the LRA negotiators face-to-face for the first time in an attempt to revive the talks, described as "stalled" by BBC News and "faltering" by The Monitor newspaper.
  • A Uganda government source reported that the president spoke angrily and rebuked the LRA team several times, before later referring to the LRA as "unserious" in a subsequent address to South Sudan government officials.


Ugandan Government Signs Second Truce, November 1, 2006
  • After a week-long impasse, the LRA and government signed a second truce on 1 November 2006 that mandated the monitoring team until 1 December.
  • The previous agreement had technically expired in September. As part of the agreement, the army was to withdraw from Owiny Ki-Bul, past a 30-km (18-mi) buffer zone.
  • The LRA was given a week to regroup at Owiny Ki-Bul, and four weeks to gather at Ri-Kwangba.
  • Both Kony and Otti refused to enter the camps, citing fear of arrest on the ICC warrants.
  • The agreement further stated that food would not be provided to LRA units outside the assembly points except in "exceptional circumstances".


LRA Announces Quitting the Ceasefire, November 30, 2006
  • The LRA declared that it was withdrawing from the talks on November 30, stating that UPDF had killed three of its fighters.
  • The deadline for the LRA fighters to finish gathering at the assembly points was 1 December.
  • Uganda denied the charge.

wpe4F.jpg (2123 bytes)


UN Secretary Kofi Anan Appoints Joaquim Chissano, Former President of Mozambique, as Special UN Envoy, 2006
  • Also, outgoing United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan appointed Joaquim Chissano, former president of Mozambique, to be the UN envoy to the conflict.


Truce Extended for Two Months, on December 18, 2006
  • The truce was further extended for two more months on 18 December.

wpe50.jpg (2545 bytes)


Sudan's al-Bashir Says Future LRA Talks Should Not Be Held in Sudan, January 12, 2007
  • On 2007-01-12, Ojul stated that recent comments made by al-Bashir and Kiir clearly signified that the LRA was not welcome any longer in Sudan, and that further talks should occur in Kenya instead.


LRA Agrees to Return to Talks with Government of Sudan, March 14, 2007
  • On 14 March 2007 the LRA stated it would once again return to the Juba talks.


LRA Talks Resume, April 13-17, 2007
  • After South Africa, Kenya and Mozambique agreed to join the peace talks (a demand the LRA had made before it would return to Juba), the next round of talks was held from 13 April to 14 April 2007.


Ceasefire Extended to June 30, 2007
  • In this round, the ceasefire was extended until 30 June 2007.

wpe4E.jpg (8750 bytes)


LRA Deputy Commander Vincent Otti Executed October 8, 2007
  • Reports surfaced that LRA deputy commander Otti had been executed on or around 8 October 2007 over an internal power struggle with Kony.


LRA and Ugandan Government Agree On No ICC Court for LRA February 19, 2008
  • A deal was signed on 19 February 2008 which decided that the war crimes would be tried in a special section of the High Court of Uganda, thus bypassing the International Criminal Court and also removing one of the last obstacles to a final peace deal.


LRA Walks Out of Negotiations After Being Told "No Senior Government Positions" February 22, 2008
  • On 22 February 2008, the rebels walked out of the talks again after being denied senior government posts.
  • However, shortly thereafter they signed another breakthrough agreement according to which they "would be considered for government and army posts", but not automatically appointed.


LRA Demands ICC Warrants Be Retracted February 23, 2008


Truce Extended to March 28, 2008


Kony Calls Off Peace Treaty, Claiming To Be Misled April 10, 2008
  • Kony delayed the signing of the final treaty further on 10 April 2008, reportedly asking for more information about what kind of punishments he could face.
  • He later clarified that he wanted to know further details about how mato-oput, the Acholi traditional justice, would be used, and how exactly the special division of the High Court would work; he then suspended the peace talks and appointed a new negotiating team, claiming to "have been misled".
  • Specifically, Kony fired chief LRA negotiator David Nyakorach Matsanga and replaced him with James Obita.
  • Kony subsequently failed to show up at Nabanga to sign the treaty.


Attempts to Restart Peace Talks Fail April 26, 2008
  • Diplomats unsuccessfully tried to restart the talks on 26 April 2008.


Attempts to Restart Peace Talks Fail May 28, 2008
  • On 26 May 2008, the government set up a special war crimes court with the mandate to try the LRA in an attempt to convince the ICC to withdraw its indictments against LRA leaders.


Reports SPLA Attacked LRA in Southern Sudan June 4, 2008
  • Lord's Resistance Army negotiator James Obita stated that on 4 June 2008, the Southern Sudan army attacked an LRA encampment killing two, though this is unconfirmed.


LRA Attacks SPLA Camp June 5, 2008
  • On 5 June 2008, the LRA attacked the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) camp at Nabanga, killing 21, seven soldiers and 14 civilians, before killing a local chief in the nearby village of Yamba.


Combined Armies of Uganda, Sudan, and DRC Attack LRA Main Camp, December 14, 2008
  • A statement announcing the operation was released in the Ugandan capital Kampala by the intelligence chiefs of all three armed forces on December 14.
  • The statement said the attack targeted the rebels at their bases in the forested area of Garamba.
  • "The three armed forces successfully attacked the main body and destroyed the main camp of Joseph Kony, code-named camp Swahili, setting it on fire," the statement said.
  • The Ugandan government stated on December 21, 2008, that 70% of the LRA's camps had been destroyed so far.


LRA "Hacks-To-Death" Up To 485 in Democratic Republic of Congo Christmas Massacre December 25-27, 2008


LRA Kills 100 More Civilians January 16, 2009
  • On January 16, 2009, another massacre occured when a rebel attack killed 100 people.