- Initiatives are the putting on the ballot a bill that is not going
through the legislature, perhaps because of "special interests,"
- Recall is the right to vote out a politician in office, for instance, a
politician taking bribes. When the state is perceived to be in danger, the people have the
right to vote out by "yes" or "no" a sitting governor, or state
- Referendum permits the public to repeal a bill that was passed by the
- Illegal aliens should be able to get drivers licenses, yes or no
- Keep the governor, yes or no
- Keep the bill that the legislature passed on legalized gambling, yes or
- "If your politicians are bought off, it gives the people a chance to
- "In a Republic, the power ultimately resides with the people".
- This is a checks and balances against corruption.
- Enough with committees, it is time for action.
- Referendums end up avoiding the deliberative process of the legislature
- When we vote people into office, are we voting for them simply to be a
voice for the people who voted for them and merely reflect the popular opinion?
- This can work fine, except if you as a person, do not know what is right
- You want to want to vote, in a Republic, for the most qualified person,
to vote for the general interest, and to be able to know what that is, but you do not want
someone who merely reflects the momentary opinion of his constituency